AME Protection of Employees
A supervisor who wishes to meet with an employee, whereby the meeting could reasonably result in disciplinary action, shall notify the employee prior to the meeting of his/her right to have a representative of the Association present at any interview.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact your unit president or call headquarters at 631-589-8400.
Your Weingarten Rights
- Rule 1: The employee must make a clear request for union representation before or during the interview. The employee cannot be punished for making this request.
- Rule 2: After the employee makes the request, the employer must choose from among three options:
- Grant the request and delay questioning until the union representative arrives and (prior to the interview continuing) the representative has a chance to consult privately with the employee;
- Deny the request and end the interview immediately; or
- Give the employee a clear choice between having the interview without representation, or ending the interview.
- Rule 3: If the employer denies the request for union representation, and continues to ask questions, it commits an unfair labor practice and the employee has a right to refuse to answer. The employer may not discipline the employee for such a refusal.